Busy as a bee? Busy as a beaver? How about busy as a teacher? Meeting the demands that are placed on today’s classroom teacher are nearly impossible given there are only 24 hours in each day. Teachers need lessons that align to standards, meet the needs of diverse learners, and fit in with the culture of the classroom and school. There are several databases of lessons that allow teachers to search based on multiple factors including content, type of activity, and length of lesson. Let’s look at the interface for four of these sites.
2. Zooniverse – Real Science Online
- Choose a Science Topic to see projects.
5. PhET – Free Physics, Chemistry and Math Applets
6. eThemes – My first choice for finding online resources!! These resources are age appropriate, the content has been checked for accuracy, and the pages have been checked three links deep. You can also request to have an eTheme created for your specific topic.
Here is a smattering of communication/collaboration tools that we will review with you. The session is only an hour long, so we will be moving pretty fast. Follow along with the links below, or sit back, take notes, and check out the links later – your choice. Comment below to let us know what resonated with you so that we can delve deeper into that part in a future session! Enjoy….
Learn Central (Register for a free VRoom)
Here is a smattering of math/science tools that we will review with you. The session is only an hour long, so we will be moving pretty fast. Follow along with the links below, or sit back, take notes, and check out the links later – your choice. Let us know what resonated with you so that we can delve deeper into that part in a future session! Enjoy….
Before the Lesson:
Delicious – Online Social Bookmarking Site (Try searching on this site!!)
Illuminations Lesson Plans – Math
Science Net Links – Click the “Filter Your Search” button below the search box.
During the Lesson:
- National Library of Virtual Manipulatives – Applets & Lessons
- Project Interactivate – Applets & Lessons
- Analyze Math – Free Applets and Worksheets
- IES Trig – Applets
- Twiddla – Collaborative Whiteboard with Math Tools – no registration required
- Texas Instruments Featured Lessons
- USGS Water Flow – Real Time Data
- The National Health Museum – Graphics Gallery for Biotechnology
- NASA – Virtual Skies
- Free Stuff for Science Teachers – Check out the 1 minute Podcasts
- Periodic Table Wiki – Click on any element for information, links, and videos
- Science Applets – University of Colorado
Math, Physics and Engineering Java Applets
After the Lesson:
Follow up Video Lessons:
- Khan Academy– 2500+ videos on Math and Science
- Hippocampus – Online curriculum for Math and Science – Set up your classes